The Official Exhibition Opening of the Sixth Annual Birdlife Art Awards was held at the TYTO Regional Art Gallery on Friday 1 October 2021.
The TYTO Regional Art Gallery recorded a total of 102 entries, which were judged by a panel made up of Councillor Mary Brown, local Artist Rita Sinclair and Townsville based artist Gerald Soworka.
Council would like to congratulate Isabelle Gair-Hemsley for her artwork “Family” (entrant number 44) for winning the People’s Choice Award. Isabelle’s piece is a family of curlews that was entered into Section 3: Mixed Media.
The winners of the Sixth Annual Birdlife Art Awards are as follows:
- Overall Winner: Lady with a Quail by Catherine Ogden (Ceramics);
- Local Artist: Peck by David Rowe (Sculptural Form); and
- People’s Choice: Family by Isabelle Gair-Hemsley (Mixed Media).
As previously mentioned in Council Connections dated Wednesday 13 October 2021, below are the category winners:
- Section 1: Painting 2D – The Lion’s Roar by Rob Rek;
- Section 2: Watercolour – The Choir by Claire Randall;
- Section 3: Mixed Media – Family by Isabelle Gair-Hemsley;
- Section 4: Drawing – Southern Cassowary by John Benfer;
- Section 5: Works on Paper – Waking Up by Laura Castell;
- Section 6: Photography – Silhouetted Sunbird by Sharon Cislowski;
- Section 7: Ceramics – You’ll be a Laughing Pot by Warren Ogden; and
- Section 8: Sculptural Form – Frogmouth by Ellen Terrell.
Council wishes to thank all entrants to the Sixth Annual Birdlife Art Awards for their hard work and dedication to the arts and passion for the Hinchinbrook region.